Disney is known for two things long lines and the heat, especially if you are vacationing in the summer. Today I am sharing some great tips to beat the heat at Walt Disney World.
Tips to Beat the Heat at Walt Disney World
I was born and raised in Michigan. I have lived here in Florida for over 15 years and I am still not used to the horrible heat here. The heat is different than most because it is a VERY HUMID heat. You can sweat in the shade and in the middle of the night when the temps get “cooler”. Disney has so many summer events it makes it hard to avoid going to the parks during the hottest months of the year.
It starts getting too warm sometimes as early as the beginning of May and sometimes lasts through Thanksgiving.
Drink lots of cool water, I mean lots.
- All the quick service restaurants give you free cups for ice water.
- Bring a water bottle of your own. Easy to refill at any of the water fountains, you might want to grab some of the free ice from the quick service places because not all the water fountains give cold water.
- If you want to get bottled water of your own and bring it into the park, you have a few options. One option is to order bottled water from Amazon have it shipped to your resort. Another option is to order water from Garden Grocer. They deliver to your resort as well. Once at the park, you can get a locker to store the water and stuff a couple in your park bag, and refill your bag a couple of times a day.
Indulge in some Cool Treats. Disney has so many tasty frozen treats like Dole Whips, Mickey Ice Cream Bars, and more!
Wear Sunblock. Wear sunblock even if you usually don’t. Florida sun is brutal. Having a sunburn adds extra heat to your body that you just don’t need. I usually buy my sunblock from CVS or Walgreens and use their reward programs and coupons.
Make a Heat-Beating Disney World Park Schedule.
- If you are staying on property, this is very easy. Schedule a break during the day to go back to your resort. Take a nap or take a swim to cool down. Not just little ones get cranky in the heat, grown-ups do too. You can just ask my hubby how cranky I get.
- If you are staying off property you can still get a nice break from the midday heat. Take the afternoon to browse the gift shops and do some indoor attractions. Enjoy a water ride and/or the splash pad areas.
- If you are staying off property, you can still leave midday and I strongly suggest it if you have small children. You don’t have to pay for parking again to get back into the park, just save your receipt.
Wear Light Colors. Dark colors attract the sun and in turn, make you hotter.
Take your time. Don’t make a rushed schedule where you have to rush and run to your next attraction. Study the park map before heading to the parks and schedule your Fastpasses geographically close together.
Buy a Water Mister Fan Before Going to Disney World. These things are great but very expensive at Disney. Sometimes the Dollar Tree has them but you can find a Disney-themed one on Amazon.
Get some baby wipes. I like reapplying sunblock and wiping off the old sunblock & sweat with baby wipes. The wipes are cooling. You can also bring a wet washcloth in a ziplock bag and use the water fountains to get it wet. I like applying a wet washcloth to my forehead, neck, and wrists.
Use an Umbrella and/or Wide Brimmed Hat for Sun Protection. Umbrellas do more than block the rain. Many umbrellas now also come with UVA protection.
Listen to Your Body. I often get sick from the heat because I try doing too much. Look for signs of dehydration or heat sickness such as dry mouth, decreased urine output, dark urine, and dizziness. Seek out the AC, tell a Cast Member if needed.
What is your favorite way to beat the heat at Walt Disney World?